Over the last 20 years working in the corporate world and then building my company SmartChic, I have always believed in supporting other high quality business owners. I believe that alone we can do a lot but together with other amazing people, we can accomplish so much more. I have seen that personally in building my business. I have always focused on relationship building and collaboration and have seen my business really soar over these last few years. If the mix is right, collaborating with other business owners is an awesome way to build great business relationships and grow the reach of your business. But I am going to keep it real here. Collaborations can be a disaster if both parties do not have certain common characteristics. Coming from the investigations industry I always believe in getting to know potential collaborators; do your due diligence. Here are 5 characteristics I believe need to be there for a successful collaboration to happen.
5 Characteristics Needed to Make a Great Business Collaboration
- Similar Values – Take some time to get to know the values of the other person you are looking to do a collaboration with. Do they have a similar mindset? Do they have the same philosophy on business and other important things that you value? Sometimes it takes a little time to uncover that. Never rush into a business relationship. Take your time so you feel that it is right.
- Trustworthy – Before getting into a business collaboration, take the time and find out if you really trust the person you are looking to do a collaboration with. Trust your instincts on this one. Again, take the time to get to know the person you might be working with.
- Excellent Communicator – When doing a collaboration with someone, you are going to have to send emails to one another, likely have several meetings together and discuss the progress of the project. Be sure the person you are looking to work with is an excellent communicator.
- Add Value – When looking to collaborate with someone, be sure that the person you are looking to work with is going to provide great value. Meaning this. Your reputation is on the line with doing business with someone else. By collaborating with another business owner, you are recommending them, you are putting your stamp of approval on what they are all about.
- Contribute Equally – Great collaborators are going to work! You want to make sure the person or people you are going to collaborate with are going to contribute. You want this to a great situation for all parties involved. So you want to make sure that the other person is going to equally contribute to the collaboration.
Have you ever collaborated with other business owners? If so, does any of the characteristics above resonate with you? What do you feel are the best characteristics of an effective business collaboration? I really look forward to hearing from you.
Cynthia helps you step into your personal and professional greatness with laser-focused strategies and really smart tips. She is definitely not about ‘the fluff’. It is a no-excuse zone with her! She gives you kick-butt motivation and awesome strategies for you to take positive actions forward each day. Commit to being mentored by Cynthia today! www.smartchic.me