During my work day on Wednesday, I was in my office reviewing some reports on the computer and I received an Instant Message from a friend of mine that I hadn’t heard from in a long time! We started messaging back and forth for several minutes then decided to get on the phone and catch up as much as we could in a short period of time. Even though we haven’t seen each other in at least 6 months to a year, within seconds of getting on the phone, we were back exactly where we left off. After getting off the phone, I was thinking about how that’s a true friend. That no matter where life takes you, they are there. I am grateful for that person and all the people that I consider true friends in my life.
Although you may have some other things to add to this list (or perhaps have different things that are important to you in a friendship), these are the things that I consider important in being a great friend.
- Good Listener – They are interested in knowing about what is going on in your life. They are not just hearing you; they truly are listening and getting an understanding of what’s going on from your perspective.
- You Can Say Anything – With a true friend, you can tell them exactly what is going on in your life and feel comfortable doing so, without worrying about anything.
- Loyal and Have Integrity – True friends will be there for you through both the great moments and the challenging times. They are the type of person that if you had to call them up at 4:00am, they would be there.
- They are Respectful & Do Not Judge You – True friends may not agree with exactly everything that you are doing in your life, and they may say that, but they won’t judge you. A friend should respect that you have your own life and be there to support you through decisions that you make.
- Build You Up – When you are successful and things are going good in your life, true friends will congratulate you and build you up and not be jealous. Real friends are going to want to celebrate your successes and be part of the journey.
Having a great support system of friends is so important in life. It’s not only important to look for those qualities in others; we should have the same qualities. Is there a friend that you haven’t reached out to in a while? Do you think that perhaps you could be a better friend to someone? I hope you will reach out to someone today and let them know how grateful you are for their friendship. ~The SmartChic 😉
“Good friends are like stars. You don’t always see them, but you know they are always there.” -Unknown